Wednesday 23 November 2011

28 Ludlow, Shropshire and 29 Hereford Cathedral, 9th October 2011

Photos

0900 The day is very mild and I’m already down to a tee shirt while strolling around Ludlow before the town really wakes up, snapping away at the timbered buildings and Georgian architecture.  Ludlow has an impressive castle and I am about to wander in through it’s gates before I’m stopped by the porter telling me gruffly that the castle isn’t open yet.  So, I content myself with a wander around the outside of the apron wall and emerge on a path called ‘Bread Walk’ on the south bank of the river Teme that runs between two bridges surrounding the town on three sides. Flocks of Long-Tailed Tit pick at the haws on the trees and Grey Wagtail skip about on the flat stones on the riverbank.

1000 Exploring the Sunday market where there are a lot of second hand books and a stall which is selling things ingeniously made out of recycled coins and cutlery: wind chimes, hooks and jewellery.

1020 Settle down for a brunch in ‘Aragons’ cafe just off the marketplace as there was none served at the guest house.  Overall I was disappointed with my room but not with Ludlow.  However, the sparse Sunday train timetable will not allow me to stay any longer and there are three changes to get to Matlock.

1200 I have an hour to kill at Hereford so I make a tour of the cathedral, most famous for it’s chained library and the ‘Mappa Mundi’.  Sadly, both of these are closed on Sunday.  Still, there are plenty of other things to see and I fiddle around taking photos.

1348 Gah! I spent too long in the cathedral and have just missed my train. The next one doesn't get in until 2030 so no Matlock illuminations for me this time.  Cross that one off the list.

1513 Finally on my way. Pass through Malvern with the hills to the West reminding me of other 50@fifty excursions (I wonder if anyone found my lost strap?).  The weather is now overcast but dry, mild and very muggy.  My train is a London Midlands straight-sided affair that has seen better days that terminates at Birmingham Moor St station which has been given a makeover in a sort of Art Deco style. I like it.  From here there is a five minute walk to the connection at New St station

1711 Survived the maelstrom that is Birmingham New St station but I’ve ended up on a crowded train headed for Edinburgh.  Manage to find a seat next to a girl heading for Leeds, squeezing my rucksack onto the overhead rack. The air con in the carriage has given up so I am feeling distinctly sticky and look forward to my shower at the b and b.  I wonder how the other passengers fare because the lady on the Tannoy says that a computer error (aka excuse for human error) means that none of the reservations actually show on the little screens above the seat.  There are plenty of folks standing and I have to jostle my way to the exit to alight with my bike at Derby.

1900 Eat at a lovely but quite expensive Indian restaurant. Derby has a modern station with a sculpture outside made of old railway locomotive parts as a nod to it’s particular industrial heritage I suppose.

2100 Arrive at Matlock to find that my b and b is at the top of a very long, steep hill which is not what a cyclist wants to see at the end of a long day.   My digs are nothing out of the ordinary, though the chap suggests I stow my bike in the lounge leaning up against his sofa!  Strange customs they have in Derbyshire.  I’m about ready to collapse, and I’ll need all my strength for the Monsal Trail tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment