Wednesday 7 March 2012

49 Museum of Brands, Packaging and Advertising & 50 the Wallace Collection, London, 25th February 2012

Photos:

Almost there!  On the home stretch of this year-long project so I thought it appropriate to mark the occasion by finishing on my 51st birthday and engineering a get-together with immediate family in a mutually convenient place.  My hand was forced somewhat when I learned that Al was playing clarinet with his university orchestra in St John’s, Smith Square so London it is.  This gave me plenty of scope for visiting new places but in the end I settle for the Wallace Collection – a gallery I’ve been meaning to visit for ages - and the Museum of Brands, Packaging and Advertising in Notting Hill which just sounds offbeat and interesting.  We will meet up for lunchtime, everyone else not sharing my enthusiasm, and then round the day off by going to Al’s concert.

1000 Arrive on the dot of the opening of the MoBP&A - tucked away in a residential street in Notting Hill.  Somewhat off the beaten tourist track methinks, underlined by the fact that I am the only one there for the most part.  The clue is in the name...someone has collected tins, boxes, posters, artefacts, medicines, games, puzzles postcards - anything to illustrate the evolution of advertising and branding over the years starting with the Victorians and ending in the 21st Century.  They let the exhibits tell the story, with relatively little in the way of written information.  It is interesting to see how old some of the familiar names are and there are moments, especially in the 1960’s and 70’s cabinets when I think ‘I remember that’ or ‘I had one of those’.  I also finally find definite proof by dint of the packet on display that Twiglets were longer than they are today!

By 1130 I have to make a move to the Wallace Collection or there is no time before meeting for lunch, so I hoof it back to the tube, battling against the oncoming streams of tourists on their way to Portobello Road market.  A dash along the Central Line to disgorge at Bond Street and I’m virtually there.  The Wallace Collection is a large mixture of stuff collected by some Marquess in the 19th century but I have about an hour to peruse and it is quickly apparent that there is no way I can fully do it justice.   I decide to cherry pick the picture collection – Canalettos, Rembrandts and the famous Laughing Cavalier which is exquisitely painted.  My favourite item is not a picture, though, but a small desk inkwell with a pile of tools and drawing instruments on top.  Sounds strange, but it is really lovely and appeals to my engineering roots.

By 1245 my time is up and I hot-foot it along the Victoria line to Grumbles restaurant in Pimlico to meet up with family where the food is OK - more than OK – and the conversation even better.

We still have some time to kill before the concert so part again, I take to a nearby watering hole to watch the England v Wales Six Nations match, again keeping my own company though with several other enthusiasts, mainly Welsh it seems.

So to the concert:  Wagner, Elgar and Stravinski in the sturdlily-built St John’s church in Smith Square.  Great view of Al, and the orchestra makes a pretty good noise too.

So that is that.  The completion of 50@fifty and the end of this blog.  Phew!   I didn’t think I was going to get it done at one point.  There were a few places I missed out on but I don’t think there were any that I wouldn’t go back to.  Fantastic memories and I really feel I know England better now.  I’m not sure there will be a ‘51@fifty-one’ or the equivalent, but I have a few ideas kicking around for future travel projects.

You can review the whole blog at : http://malvolio-50fifty.blogspot.com/


Best B and B: Broad Croft House, Horton-in-Ribblesdale

Worst B and B: The Happy Dolphin, Margate

Most Surprising County: Northumberland or Suffolk

Favourite Train Ride: Dawlish to Exeter

Favourite Bike Ride: Monsal Trail

Best Day: Sutton Hoo and Snape Maltings

Best Atmosphere: Aldeburgh Beach

Most Spiritual Moment:  Evensong in Lichfield Cathedral

High Point:  Top of Blencathra J

Low Point:  Missing the train to Matlock

Miles Travelled:  Must be 1000’s

Cost:  Don’t ask.


No comments:

Post a Comment