Monday 12 December 2011

34. Lincoln Cathedral and 35. Rutland Water Cycle Trail 13th October 2011

Photos

Leave the Big Brother house (thanks for the hospitality Jane & Richard) to head into Lincoln along the old Boston to Lincoln railway line that follows the ruler-straight course of the River Witham, a semi-artificial canal dug by the Romans.  The weather and terrain are perfect for cycling and I only stop occasionally to look at the information boards and take a photo or two.  As I approach the city I can glimpse the triple towers of the cathedral on it's hill, drawing ever nearer.   Arriving at the Close I find a fire appliance dealing with a flood, I suppose, as there doesn’t seem to be a fire but there is a lot of water.

1000 Lincoln cathedral has adopted the practice of an entry fee which I‘ve already mentioned I‘m against.   I must say though that it was worth it because the building is stunning inside. As a bonus they also have a sensory exhibition of modern carvings and marquetry themed on the Stations of the Cross by William Fairbank.  Having done some marquetry, I can appreciate the work but also the way he uses imperfections in the wood to enhance the art.  For example, in one panel a shrinkage spilt in the wood runs through the centre of the Cross echoing the rent in the temple veil at the moment of Christ’s death, I suppose.

I would have liked to have spent longer in the cathedral than the two hours that I did but my itinerary does not permit it.  I’m finding that this, combined with the shortened daylight at this time of year, is the main disadvantage of travelling by train.  So I make my way down the appropriately-named Steep Hill to the station, carefully wheeling my bike among the oncoming tourists and shoppers.  I can see from the short time I spent there Lincoln has a lot more to offer than just the cathedral and I will have to find another excuse to visit.

Question:  what connects Lincoln cathedral to Truro cathedral and Lincoln cathedral with Salisbury cathedral?  The answer is at the bottom of this post.

1315 Caught the train south, destination Oakham, sitting opposite a chap with a rucksack who flopped down in his seat puffing and panting after running for the train.

1521 Frustratingly, I miss the connecting train at Leicester by a few seconds.  The next is in an hour’s time so I nip back to the Space Centre to buy a couple of postcards – now that is the advantage of taking a bike.

1655 Alight at Oakham station and ride through the pleasant town to Rutland Water which has had an off-road cycle way built all the way around the reservoir.   The water seems low to me and there are hundreds of water birds resting while they migrate south.   The trail is really lovely and deserted apart from the odd sheep and a few geese cropping the grass - thankfully there is no wind so I make good progress though it is dusk by the time I go full circle and get back to Oakham.   My lodgings are at the Old Plough Inn at a place called Braughton-in-Rutland about four miles from Oakham.

1915 Doh! I think I missed a turning somewhere and am heading out blissfully into rural Leicestershire in the pitch dark.  Yes, the GPS confirms it and there is nothing for it but to turn around...

1955 An appeal to all drivers... Please dip your lights when you see a cyclist!  This does not appear to be the habit of Leicestershire drivers and once I found myself on the wrong side of the road and another time in the verge.

2000 Finally make it to the Old Plough, a typical country pub with rooms above the beer cellar where the Landlord stashes my bike for the night.  I indulge in a hot shower, a pint of bitter and a plate of haddock & chips in that order before spreading myself out in the large room they have given me.  A good day – caught up with some of my family; explored one of the greatest buildings in England and have seen the sun set over Rutland Water – perfect!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Lincoln cathedral had the highest spire of any English cathedral until it fell down in 1549, when Salisbury cathedral became the highest.  And Edward White Benson was chancellor of Lincoln but became the first Bishop of Truro in 1877.

No comments:

Post a Comment